Begun as part of a class, a passion for music and writing has pushed things past class work. I hope that I can reach at least one person in some way so that they can come to love and understand music as more than entertainment.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chills

Thanks to Dr. Robbin's American Pop Music class junior year, I've been well acquainted with a version of "Hound Dog" that gives me chills. Yes. I know how could Elvis singing "Hound Dog" give me chills? How could just the song? There's nothing incredible moving or special about the song except for one woman.
The meaning of the song wasn't fully clear to me until I heard Big Mama Thornton sing it. It's incredible. On NPR today I discovered a video of her that I'd never seen before. I started listening and chills just moved through my body.

Check it out.

http://achangeoftune.blogspot.com/

No comments: