Begun as part of a class, a passion for music and writing has pushed things past class work. I hope that I can reach at least one person in some way so that they can come to love and understand music as more than entertainment.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Like A Version

I spent sometime over the weekend with my friend Kaung exchanging favorite YouTube videos and exploring our iTunes libraries. I found myself sharing lots of covers of songs.
A list:
"When Doves Cry" (Prince cover) Damien Rice
A beautiful cover. Rice's voice has so much depth and emotion it brings a new color and meaning to the piece

"A Case of You" (Joni Mitchell cover) Prince
He leaves out the first verse. My favorite verse, but his classic falsetto really makes the song his own.

"Sweet Home Alabama" (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover) The Leningrad Cowboys
Just funny. Worth a view on YouTube. Europeans are strange. They're so good, but I don't think they'd survive working in the U.S.

"Teardrop" (Massive Attack cover) and "Heartbeats" (The Knife cover) Jose Gonzales
Gonzales is a highly skilled guitarist from Sweden. He has two arrangements of pop electronica songs.

"The One I Love" (R.E.M. cover) and "Free Man in Paris" (Joni Mitchell) Sufjan Stevens
Sufjan rocks, and folks.

"Lithium" (Nirvana cover) The Polyphonic Spree
Note for note this cover is almost dead on, except for the fact that there are a choir of voices rather than Kurt Cobain.

"Irreplaceable" (Beyonce cover) Sugarland
At one of the music awards shows last year. Almost better than the original, even when Beyonce herself came out to join them. On YouTube as well.

"Sadie Hawkins Dance" (Reliant K cover) The Bluegrass Tribute
Silly.

"Jolene" (Dolly Parton cover) The White Stripes
Just fun.

No comments: