Begun as part of a class, a passion for music and writing has pushed things past class work. I hope that I can reach at least one person in some way so that they can come to love and understand music as more than entertainment.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Interview with Nathan Angelo

Back in November I wrote an interview with musicians that played for Wild Wednesday in hopes of getting to start a sort of regular thing promoting the Wild Wednesday events and give me a chance to do some paid and published writing. They had a very small edition of the paper that month, so my article didn't get published.
So here it is.
Interview with Wild Wednesday Artist, Nathan Angelo


I had the chance to spend a few minutes the most recent artists at SAC’s Wild Wednesday, Nathan Angelo and his drummer Matt Linton. In the midst of students playing air hockey and ping-pong after the show in Loafers, we were able to have conversation about music and Nathan’s experience.

Mb: What has been your funniest/favorite show moment, since you’ve been on the road?
Nathan and Matt: We played a costume show.
Mb: For Halloween? What were you?
Nathan: Yeah. I was old time jailbird, with the black and white stripes. He [Matt] played the drums the whole night with a full mask on, like an old man…like the guy in Kill Bill with the beard. Someone else was a clown. It was fun.

Mb: You’ve been compared, at least here in our publicity, to other performers and musicians like Billy Joel, with your piano skills, and of course, Gavin DeGraw with your voice. How do you feel about those?
Nathan: I think it’s fine when people don’t know who I am. “Oh, if you like this person, then you’ll like this… Saying, “Hey, if you like John Meyer, you’ll like this guy.” I wouldn’t mind because I like John Meyer. Some I like more than others, but I’m not really offended.

Mb: What’s your inspiration? Who do you consider your musical mentor of sorts?
Nathan: Ray Charles. I love his playing and the passion he brings.

Mb: Does the old stuff ever get old?
Nathan: Not really. I feel like every month I listen to another recording and get something new out of it.

Mb: You played several songs about change and “doing good” in the world. Can music save the world?
Nathan: No, I don’t think it can necessarily change the world. There’s a lot in what we say as musicians and in songs. No—I don’t think it can, but I think it can certainly impact it.

Mb: And one last thing, my friend wants me to get you for Christmas. How do you feel about that?
Nathan: What, about being someone’s present? Sure, I’d love to be someone’s Christmas present.

No comments: