Begun as part of a class, a passion for music and writing has pushed things past class work. I hope that I can reach at least one person in some way so that they can come to love and understand music as more than entertainment.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Class Post 7: Copland will rock you

Queen and Copland have a little in common it seems. Ross points out the melodic similarities between the chorus "we will rock you" and a portion of the melody from Fanfare for the Common Man, which is now included in his Audio Guide. (Scroll to the bottom.)
I decided to look for more similarities like this, and I remembered that The Beatles actually included parts of the Brandenburg Concertos in It's All Too Much. I went to dig that up, available here.
It was difficult to find other examples of classical tunes being used or being similar to rock n roll tunes. However there are a few examples like that of The Beatles, integrating them into the production of songs. I came across a blog entry in my Google search about the same idea. A review of classical musicians playing rock n roll. It works both ways I guess.
Similarly I was lead back to Ross' blog where I knew there were examples of classical composers writing jazz laden music, and once again found Copland. I guess that fundamentally, at some level, being an American composer made him closer to popular forms than others. Perhaps.

No comments: